As a Mom and bonus (or step – depending on the day!) Mom of 4 total, as well as being both a daughter and bonus daughter myself, I know Mother’s Day gets busy and I wanted to post a few ideas that I know would make a lot of moms (me included!) very happy this Mother’s Day. And bonus – all are from Canadian, female-founded and owned brands.
As a Canadian female brand owner myself, I appreciate it so much when people deliberately choose to shop Canadian and local, and try to do the same as much as possible with my own purchasing.
Here are a few little ideas that I think will make the mom in your life feel appreciated and happy!
- Fresh Flowers - A classic for a reason – who doesn’t love getting flowers? I especially love them bedside so they are the first thing I see when I wake up. I love Callia for the freshest, prettiest arrangements that are hand-tied and delivered locally.
- Luxury Candles - Something about lighting a beautifully scented, handmade candle just creates a calm, special moment any time you want one. LOHN makes the most incredible candles; clean burning, small-batch and non-toxic. Plus the founders Katarina & Victoria are awesome women with amazing taste. They offer 3, 6 & 12 month subscriptions too!
- Tea Time - Whether it’s loose leaf, eco-friendly tea bags, or superfood tea latte mixes, Lake & Oak has all the mamas covered. Masterfully blended organic teas and superfoods that make every cuppa something to really look forward to. Founded & run by nutritionist Meredith Young, and handmade in small batches in Hamilton, ON. My faves: Cocao Mylk, Chaga Coconut Chai & Coco Rose Earl Grey.
- Hand Care - Elevated hand sanitizers that feel and look beautiful, as well as luxurious hand creams that nourish and protect. Let’s face it; hand sanitizer is probably going to be a big part of life for a lot longer than we thought. Paume makes refillable, display-worthy dispensers for their tough but gentle sanitizer that smells and feels amazing.
- Soothing Facial Care - I recommend Iremia to everyone I know – whether you have sensitive skin (like I do) or not. Elaine developed this line to treat her own reactive skin and it’s utterly changed my skin. No more redness or inflammation or flare-ups, and this past winter was a non-event for my face – no rosacea, no eczema – just calm, happy, comfortable skin.
- Something Cute & Useful - Canadian cruelty-free fashion brand Poppy & Peonies is taking pre-orders for the cutest rosé coloured 4-in-1 cross body purse that I am seriously coveting and think any mama would adore. (comes in black and caramel too). P&P is a Métis female-founded brand that gives back to residential school survivors.
- Bedtime Rituals - From Niyama, we recommend giving moms the tools to wind down at night. Our Hey Relax Magnesium powder is zen in a glass that can be enjoyed hot or cold in the evening to chill. Let Mom enjoy sipping it in the tub with either of our luxury Bath Soaks, and then block light with our skin-friendly mulberry silk sleep mask.
Let us know your thoughts and if there are any gifts from your favourite Canadian woman-owned brands we should be adding to this list.